This item cannot be sold to anyone under the age of 18.
By purchasing this product you confirm that you are 18 years of age or older. If you purchase this item with a credit/debit card that is available to under 18s, we will contact you to request proof of your age before your order is despatched.
Please drink responsibly www.drinkaware.co.uk
- Firebox encourages the responsible enjoyment of alcohol
- Due to the nature of this product, we are unable to offer our usual 30-day, no-quibble returns policy, if you later change your mind, or otherwise decide to return the product through no fault of Firebox. Click here for more info.
A few pointers:
- 1x fresh Kentucky Oak barrel
- 2x 500ml bottles of new-make spirit
- You may need to give the tap a good old whack to ‘seat’ it in the barrel. Don’t go nuts and break the barrel, but ‘pushing it in’ isn’t enough.
- Ensure the bung and tap are given a decent 'knock in' to create a proper and full seal
- If the hoops around the barrel feel a bit loose or there’s a bit of seepage from the cask ends when you fill it, pour some hot water in before beginning to help the wood expand and become watertight.
- The Fresh Oak barrel means that the first fill will be incredibly powerful in terms of Oak influence/flavour. You’ll be able to re-use the barrel at least two more times before the oak influence wanes.
- The rate of evaporation from these puppies is quite large. The reason for this is two-fold. Due to the high surface area - volume ratio of the barrel and lack of proper temperature control during maturation.
- Whilst maturing, your barrel should be kept at the coldest temperature possible which will help minimise the rate of evaporation. Somewhere like a garage or cellar are perfect conditions and should ensure an absolute maximum loss of 5%-15% per month through evaporation (although it'll most likely be far less).
- Alcohol 63.5% (May vary depending on process)
- Oak Barrel measures approximately 15cm(L) x 11cm(Ø)