Skype Phone Converter
Love your phone, hate your bills?
Sorry, this product is not available.
Have you heard about VoIP (Voice over Internet Protocol), the amazing new technology that allows you to make free phone calls using your Internet connection?
If you have, you'll know that it can save you an absolute fortune, especially if you've got friends and family strewn across the globe. If you haven't, you really need to get with the program pronto, because VoIP technology allows you to make free calls to fellow users and obscenely low cost calls to landlines and mobiles all over the world. And there's no easier way to get into the wonderful world of VoIP than via the ingenious uConnect skype phone convertor.
This neat little box of tricks takes the signal from your traditional home phone - be it analogue, DECT or even cordless - and converts it into digital data for transmission over the Internet. Clever, eh? Simply attach your uConnect to your regular phone line and your computer's USB port, load up the included Skype software and Bob's your uncle! It's completely idiot-proof and easier than, er, picking up the phone.
Once hooked up, your phone will work just like it always did, but pressing the * key twice will immediately activate Skype, allowing you to natter away for nothing for hours on end. (You'll need Broadband to get the best from uConnect and it goes without saying that your computer has to be switched on to take advantage of the VoIP function).
If you're into long distance calls the uConnect will pay for itself in seconds, especially if far flung friends and roaming loved ones are Skyped-up with a VoIP-friendly handset like the VTraveller.
Installing your Skype Phone Convertor - 6 easy steps:
Free calls aside, you'll also be able to use your newly-converted handset to access a whole host of user-friendly features, including VoIP voice recognition and speed dialling. And if you've got a DECT handset a nifty caller display feature tells you who's calling. Best of all you won't have to sit by your computer every time you fancy a VoIP-powered natter. And if you're cordless, a wandering you can go!
When it comes to incoming calls your phone will automatically ring as if it's your standard phone. Which it still is. If you want. Which is nice. Converted? You will be, and so will your phone. So come on, get yourself uConnect-ed and discover that talk is not only cheap, it's FREE!
How much could you save?*
|UK - National
|UK - Mobiles
||12.6p - 24.01p
*All prices based on per minute daytime calls.
** Call costs calculated using the BT Call Pricer based on a daytime call from a BT landline with "BT Together Option 1" discount plan. Click here for more information.
*** More information on BT landline to mobile pricing click here.
...and that's just a sample! Click here for a full price list of countries you can call using Skype.
This product can only be delivered to addresses within the UK.
Technical Support: Please call 0161 925 7537
- Connects to the PC by USB.
- Exceptional audio: natural sounding telephone call.
- Connection status: LED's indicate USB connection.
- Application Integration: dial direct from the everyday phone to the PC application.
- Powered by the USB, the PC sound card is free for other multimedia.
- Connect cordless phones and benefit from wireless calls.
- 1 VoIPvoice Skype USB to phone converter.
- 1 USB extension cable.
- 1 Line cord.
- 1 CD Rom with Skype software.
- 30 minutes free Skype voucher.
- N.B. Telephone Cord not included, you would simply use your existing telephone cord
- With USB cap on: Approximately 6.5cm (W) x 14cm (L) x 2.5cm (D)
What is Skype?:
- PC with Microsoft Windows 2000 or XP.
- 400MHz Processor (CPU).
- 128MB RAM.
- 15MB Free hard disk space.
- One free USB port (USB 1.1 or USB 2.0).
- An internet connection (dial up: 33kps minimum or broadband).
- A telephone (Caller ID optional) that supports DTMF dialling.
- A working telephone line (required if you want to make standard phone calls).
Skype is a little program for making free calls over the internet to anyone else who also has Skype. It’s free and easy to download and use, and works with most computers. Click here to learn more about Skype.
How to use Skype Phone Convertor with Skype:
- Dial ** on your phone, and the Skype application appears on screen.
- Hear voice prompt "Who would you like to Skype..?"
- Dial the Skype contact name using the numbers on your phone keypad.
- Dial the telephone number from your phone to make a low rate SkypeOut call.
- If your phone has caller display you will see the name of the Skype contact calling you.
- Use you everyday phone to make your regular calls, SkypeOut calls and free Skype to Skype calls.
- 2 years manufacturers limited hardware warranty.
If this was a perfect world, there'd be no yodelling, we wouldn't be ashamed of our love handles and everyone would be using Skype to talk for free.
Unfortunately the world is far from perfect, and not everyone has Skype yet. That's why we have SkypeOut, a low cost way to make calls from Skype to friends who still use those traditional landlines or mobile phones. That means calling anyone, anywhere in the world at local rates.
Sometimes talking on Skype isn't possible when the person you're trying to call is offline or busy. That's why we have Skype Voicemail.
Skype Voicemail allows you to send voicemail messages to anyone on skype. It is like sending a chat but with the sound on. You can record messages and send them to your friends without disturbing them. You can pick up messages when you're away or busy on another call and you can keep the messages for as long as you like. In fact, you don't have to be online at all for someone to leave a message. People will be able to contact you when you're sleeping, walking the dog, mowing the lawn, knitting, playing with the cat, ignoring people, practicing your tap dancing… and we could go on here. When you can't or don't have the time to talk or pick up the phone, Skype Voicemail does it for you.
Great little product. Shows the Skype username of the person calling me on my caller-id phone. Also works great with Skype to Skype calls or with Skype-Out - it's just like a normal phone conversation, with no delay. In fact a Skype to Skype call is clearer than a normal phone!
One issue - doesn't seem to have drivers for MacOS and I want to use this on my Mac! So please, sort this out....
Darren Ings, Hampshire, UK - 16th March 2006
What an ingenious device. I use Skype a lot with friends in the States, Poland and Australia and being able to use my cordless phone makes the whole process that much simpler.
Jay, Wakefield, UK - 20th December 2005
This thing is great!
I pick up my cordless DECT phone and dial **, a voice asks who I want to call...
I say "Ralf", it says "Calling Ralf" and next thing you know I'm talking to Ralf in Beijing for free!
He Skypes me and my phone displays "S-Ralf".
Brilliant! And of course it works as a normal phone whether or not the PC is switched on.
Smurph, Edinburgh - 11th November 2005